June 29, 2007, - 2:37 pm
By Debbie Schlussel
There are some great movie choices out, this weekend and over the extended holiday, early next week:
* “Live Free or Die Hard“: This third sequel to die-hard is non-stop action, exciting, patriotic, and fun movie experience. Det. John McClane and a computer hacker sidekick defeat cyberterrorists from destroying America over the Fourth of July. One of the best movies of the year, so far. Read my complete review.
* “Sicko“: Standard Michael Moore fare–clever and entertaining propaganda that doesn’t tell the truth and misses what’s actually wrong with our healthcare system. Don’t believe the hype. Read my complete review.
* “Ratatouille“: This cute, entertaining animated eye-candy delight is something both you and your kids will enjoy. A rat, Remy, wants to become a top chef in Paris. But who wants a rat cooking in their kitchen. So, Remy teams up with aspiring human cook, Linguini, to produce culinary delights that meet the approval of even uber-snobby French food critic, Anton Ego (Peter O’Toole).
While I couldn’t help but be bothered that a rat is in the kitchen (the ick factor), I loved this. Great family entertainment, which explores lots of relationships and shows French snobbery for what it is. Could have done without the statements made on anti-rat prejudice in society. On the contrary, some prejudices are good and necessary.
* “Transformers“–Because this movie is in theaters on Tuesday, I’m prohibited from posting my review until Monday, but I very unexpectedly loved this high-tech, sci-fi movie. The best of Director Michael Bay’s flicks, by far. Very cool, though a lot of sexual content and four-letter words in a movie aimed at kids. Stay tuned.
* “Evening“–Didn’t see this chick-flick because of a scheduling conflict, but intend to and to post a review, coming soon. Stay tuned.
Tags: 4th of July, America, Anton Ego, chef, Debbie Schlussel There, director, Director Michael Bay, food critic, healthcare system, John McClane, Michael Bay, Michael Moore, Paris, Peter O'Toole, Ratatouille, Sicko, Transformers