July 19, 2010, - 3:14 pm
So, it’s the middle of the summer, and your family and kids need something to do. You decide to take them to an amusement park. Best to avoid Six Flags . . . unless you’re Muslim. If you are, the red carpet is rolled out on the most interesting of dates, September 12th. I’m sure that this is the day after 9/11 is just coincidence, right?
They’ve had Muslim day at other Six Flags parks before (and I’ve written about it–employees were told not to wear shorts, “out of respect” for Islam). And that’s objectionable enough. But the date is just rubbing our faces in it. Check out the Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor, Chicago events calendar, above (thanks to Pat Campbell of KFAQ and Joe Scialfa of WTMJ for the tip). They do have “Catholic Family Day,” too, not just “Muslim Family Day.” But the whole thing is ridiculous, especially the day for Muslim Family Day. I have a few questions:
1) Why the heck does any amusement park have special days based on religion?
2) Will they have Hari Krishna Family Day? Wiccan Family Coven Day? Jonestown, Guyana Survivor Family Day? Why Not? Why are they discriminating against these religions, yet honoring Muslim families? Do they have to murder 3,000 Americans using planes and try it again using underwear, in order to get recognition?
3) How will they enforce discounts or whatever they’re giving or doing for the Muslim Family Day? What if I go to Six Flags and claim I’m Muslim? Will they make me recite suras from the koran to prove it? Or show them how to convert a cellphone into an IED?
4) Who picked the 9/12 date for Muslim Family Day and why? Is it to show us that the day after the date of the attacks they are not only still here but growing in population and pandered to by places like Six Flags?
5) Why can’t they combine Muslim Family Day with the event after it, since they seem kind of redundant? Yes, I’m “SNICKERing.”
Hmmm . . . maybe they should change the name from Six Flags to Hamza ["Five," in Arabic] Flags, since hamza/five is a good luck number in Islam.
Tags: amusement park, Chicago, five, Great America, Hamza, Hamza Flags, Hurricane Harbor, Islam, Muslim, Muslim Family Day, September 12, September 12th, Six Flags