December 29, 2008, - 12:28 pm
By Debbie Schlussel
As I’ve noted before, I’m a member of the Detroit Film Critics Society. Every major city has one of these and each votes on the year’s best movies, actors, etc. And as in most, there are few conservatives. As far as I know, I’m the only one in the DFCS, which is dominated by liberals. As a member, I’m required to publicize this year’s choices, even though I don’t agree with most of them. Loved “Slumdog Milllionaire,” except for the brief Islamic propaganda part, and thought Mickey Rourke did an excellent job in a thoroughly depressing “The Wrestler.” Here are the picks (with my reviews of some films linked in bold). Compare ‘em with my original choices/nominations. I’ll try to have my list of the years best and worst movies posted tomorrow. Stay tuned.
* Best Film: SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
* Best director: DANNY BOYLE – SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
* Best Actor: MICKEY ROURKE – THE WRESTLER
* Best Actress: KATE WINSLET – REVOLUTIONARY ROAD [DS: Hated this left-wing attack on American suburbs and capitalism. I voted for Melissa Leo in “Frozen River” (about an illegal alien smuggler and the consequences), with Meryl Streep in “Doubt” as my second choice.]
* Best Supporting Actor: HEATH LEDGER – THE DARK KNIGHT [DS: I voted for Robert Downey, Jr. in “Tropic Thunder,” with Ledger as my second choice of the available nominees.]
* Best Supporting Actress: MARISA TOMEI – THE WRESTLER [DS: I don’t generally like to vote for actresses who go topless and play strippers. I voted for Amy Adams in “Doubt,” with Tomei as my second choice, only because there weren’t many choices.]
* Best Ensemble: FROST/NIXON [DS: Didn’t like this propaganda movie. I voted for “Burn After Reading.”]
* Best Newcomer: MARTIN MCDONAGH – IN BRUGES (WRITER/DIRECTOR) [DS: I hated this movie. I voted for Dev Patel, the star of “Slumdog Millionaire.”]
Again, stay tuned for my own list of the best and worst movies of the year, which will be markedly different from this list.